Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Day of School

Yesterday was my first day back to work with students and David's first day in 11th grade. Every year since the boys were little I took a picture of them on the first day of school. It is used to start out in their classrooms and then when they hit middle school, the pictures were either inside the house or outside the house...but heaven forbid I go into their classroom and have them sit at their desk and take a picture. I know better but incase I did not, Brian & Mark told me come 5th grade...pictures at home only. So, I took my normal first day picture yesterday. Now there is only one in the picture and he is a junior. Yes, David is a junior. He drives himself to school as well. SO I thought you all would love to see how excited he was to start school:


Can you not see the excitement. Okay....he hides it well. But last night at dinner (Niel grilled cheeseburgers) he said it was okay. He likes his classes and thinks it will be a good year. He did give me a complement....he was telling the table last night (Mark, Janel, Chen, Pat, Niel, and myself) about the first day of talk I give to my students.(I taught David in 8th grade history but I usually have the same type of talk...change it up some for my 11th graders but it is my dog and pony show). He says I come across real strick but by the end of my talk the whole class usually loves me. I do make them laugh. I give my rules, what I expect from them, but I also add humor to it. Hey, I work with teenagers and I love my job....so I must survive with humor.

My first day was wonderful....I have great kids...I know I say that every year but every year I get great kids. I love what I do and I love my job. This year I teach periods 1-5 without a break, I have last lunch during 5th period, then I teach 6th period. My planning is the last two periods of the day 7th & 8th (this semester....it changes next semester). My day flew by.....by 7th period I was ready for some down time.

Well, if you all watch the news...you will see that we have a tropical storm called Fay sorta keeping us wet today. Because tropical storms can sometimes have major winds, they cancelled school today. They do that because the law states that busses can not go over the causeways when the winds get above 35 mph. So...I am being a bumb today....so is David. He is still asleep. I have dinner planned already.....meatballs in the crockpot....we are having meatball subs. The worse weather is suppose to hit us about 5 pm - 8 pm......so if we loose electricity, dinner will be ready. I just heard the news, right now, in parts of Brevard County they are clocking wind gust up to 30 mph....like I said, it is suppose to get worse as the day goes on.

Brian & Chelsea are in Tampa, near where the storm came through. I talked to them yesterday and they seemed very prepared. I knew they would be. Brian has always been a major help here when I used to get ready for a storm. He knows what to do.....it is a habit.

Niel had to go to work today but I am hoping they let him off early before the winds get to high. He has to drive 35 - 40 minutes to get home...so I am hoping he is able to leave work early. He usually works until 6 - 6:30 and that is when it is suppose to get really nasty.

Keep us in your prayers.

1 comment:

cwinwc said...

Hard to believe David is in 11th grade. Also hard to believe that we're off another day due to Fay!